Oxalates or oxalic acid are a phytonutrient found in pretty much all plants.
They have become a nutritional supervillain of sorts, getting the blame for all sorts of health issues from mineral absorption issues to kidney stones to vague gut health and systemic inflammatory conditions.
Why is it then that plant eaters who tend to consume far more oxalates than non plant eaters don't actually suffer from these alleged oxalate issues?
Well, as is often the case the science is complex. However, the take away message is simple!
In the context of an acidic environment with dysbiosis of the gut microbiome, oxalates may well contribute to some of these alleged issues!
In the context of an alkalinizing plant based lifestyle, oxalates are never to fear.
Topics covered in this episode:
Links to some more good stuff
- SPRING CLEANSE Starts April 7th - Join now and save $20! www.alter.health/cleanse
- ALL NEW EAT MORE, WEIGH LESS PROGRAM - www.alter.health/eat-more-weigh-less
- 1-on-1 Nutritional Analysis Package - www.alter.health/nutritional-analysis
- Get the Alter Health weekly WFPB Meal Guides: www.alter.health/meal-guides
- Work with us in the Thrive on Plants program: www.alter.health/thrive-on-plants